"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Saturday, January 23, 2010

On Thursday, I wrote about offering myself as a living sacrifice...and a longing to be transformed by renewing my mind (based on Romans 12:1,2). That reminded me of something I recently read in John Ortberg's excellent book, "The Life You've Always Wanted". I like to journal things that really speak to me, or I have a tendency to forget them! This morning I was reading through my journal and came across this entry from Dec. 16...

"There is an immense difference between training to do something and trying to do something... Spiritual transformation is not a matter of trying harder, but of training wisely." (pg.43)

Paul reminded Timothy of the same thing when he told Timothy, "Train yourself to be godly. Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and the life to come." (I Tim.4:7a-8)

Spiritual training (and transformation) will be a lifelong process. One doesn't just set out to run a marathon; I would imagine you'd spend months in training. So I need to learn to be patient (following the example of the Spirit, Himself!) and not beat myself up when I blow it. God's Word reminds me that His faithfulness, His compassion, His mercy is new every day! Thank You, Lord!

No comments: