"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A fun weekend!



Last weekend was so much fun! My mom, my sisters, and I love to go on an occasional "sister's weekend". This year we went to our cousin's beautiful condo on Lake Okoboji (thanks John and Amy!). We mostly spent our time just hanging out. We watched SEVERAL episodes of "The Office" (hilarious!! Mom decided it DOES grow on you!) and played lots of rummikub and Canadian salad (a card game). The best part was just being together. Never a shortage of laughter! We even got to help Carol celebrate her birthday in person this year! We all bought her a bottle of Tassel Ridge's Red, White, and Blue wine (her favorite). Hopefully this will keep her stocked for awhile!


It's always just a little bitter-sweet, though. Even though there are 6 of us (including mom), it invariably feels like someone is missing. This coming March it will be 6 years since Laura died. I'm so glad we went on a sister's weekend just a month before she got too sick. That weekend is just one more precious memory in a whole host of good times spent together as a family. Sometimes I think that our missing Laura just makes the time we spend with each other even more cherished.

On Sunday I went to Hull to spend a short 24 hours with Steph, Kirk, and the kids. FUN! Konner and I got in several games of trouble, and had lots of time to "play upstairs" (his favorite thing...I think he wants to make sure I won't be distracted by the babies!). But don't worry, I spent lots of time playing with Haley and Kaden, too!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine..." How true! Laughter ranks right up there with the best of all therapies!!

1 comment:

Carol Overweg said...

It sure was a fun weekend wasn't it? I love seeing the pictures. I watched an episode of "the office" tonight but it just wasn't as funny watching by myself as it was watching it with you guys.So thankful for the memories. Love you! Carol