"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Is God Really Good?

Is God really good? If He is, why does He allow devastating earthquakes and other such catastrophes to happen? Last night Steve and I watched some of the coverage of the earthquake in Haiti. Even on this side of the TV screen, the fear and horror that the people of Haiti were experiencing was palpable. There was so much confusion and tumult. Everywhere the cameras scanned you could see destruction , calamity, and death. I think what got to me more than anything were the faces of the people. So many gazed through eyes that were vacant…blank…obviously in shock. Others mirrored the pain, confusion, and sheer terror that surrounded them. The word “why” can be spoken in a thousand different languages without having to say a word.

So is God good? Not an unusual question to ask at such a time. I can easily recall times in my own life when I wrestled with that same question…at age 25 struggling with infertility…six years ago when my sister, Laura, and my brother-in-law, Duane, were both dying of cancer. Is God really good?

I’ll never forget a quote I read shortly before Laura died. I read it in a book by Stormie O’Martian, called Just Enough Light for the Step I’m On. These words helped put things in perspective for me…

“Often people blame God for the tragedies in their lives and close themselves off from the very One who can take their pain away. But we won’t make the same mistake if we will remember two things: God is good, and Satan comes to kill and destroy. It’s crucial to not confuse the two during a time of loss.” (p 154)

God is good. Satan comes to kill and destroy. Jesus said these very words to His disciples shortly before He was brutally crucified. “The thief (Satan) comes only to steal, kill, and destroy...(then Jesus goes on to remind us why He came to this earth)...I came so that everyone would enjoy life, and have it in abundance.” (John 10:10)

Satan’s plan has always been to create doubt and confusion in our minds about the absolute goodness of God. He makes us doubt God’s goodness and love when our prayers aren’t answered as we want them to be, or when we’re in a time of crisis. Satan boldly points an accusing finger at God and tells us that “a loving God would not allow such a thing to happen”. But we would be wise to remember that for now God has allowed Satan a certain amount of control on this earth.

This world is not our final home…in fact, we’re told that we don’t even belong to this world (John 15:19). Jesus knew we would face crises, problems, heartache, and devastating losses on this earth. So in perfect, typical Jesus-fashion, He provides us with infinite hope. “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

I pray this day will be one of peace for you...no matter what you're facing. God IS good.



No comments: