"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Incense

Several years ago I made the mistake of getting my nails done before Steve and I went on a special trip. As a lifelong nail biter, I’ve never had nice nails. What a treat for me to actually have nails that looked manicured instead of raggedy and short. But now that I’ve effectively ruined my nails, I need to keep going back!

Yesterday when I was at the nail salon I noticed a stick of incense burning, presumably to the small Buddha sitting next to it. I couldn’t help but wonder about this. Was that little idol - created in some factory - pleased with the fragrance? What sort of worship does one offer to a molded piece of metal or plastic? Isaiah 44:6-20 speaks to us of idol worship, and the foolishness of bowing down to them. Verse 18 reminds us, “They know nothing, they understand nothing: their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds are closed so they cannot understand.” Was the woman who lit this incense acting out of obedience? Fear? Tradition? Sacrifice?

It made me think of what kind of “incense” I offer to the Lord. In my recent Bible study, I’ve been reminded that our worship, praise, and prayers are incense to God. Can you just envision God smiling with delight when your prayers waft up to Him? Did you know that He so values our prayers that He collects them? (see Rev. 5:8) In fact, God never forgets a single prayer we’ve prayed. What an amazing thought. What an amazing God!

God's Word also tells us that we are the aroma of Christ here on earth. In fact, God has chosen us to diffuse His sweet scent to everyone we meet. “Now He uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.” (2 Cor. 2:14b-15a NLT) Wow. Sit on that one for a minute!

It’s easy to sit in judgment of those who burn incense to idols. But I would be wise to search my own heart. Is my life a pleasing aroma to God? Do I love others with the same love Christ shows me? Do I continually praise God and tell others of Him? God has lavished His love on me. Am I lavishly worshiping Him in return?

No comments: