"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Happy birthday Kyle!


Kyle is 17 years old today! Where did those years go? I remember so well the day we got the totally unexpected news of a new baby boy. Steve and I were thrilled to have a son, and Stephanie and Katie were so excited to have a baby brother! Meeting Kyle for the first time and bringing him home is a precious memory I’ll never forget.

God has such a neat way of putting families together. When I close my eyes and ponder how our family was formed, it brings tears to my eyes. I just imagine how God blessed Katie and Kyle’s birthmothers with the grace to be able to release their babies. And it honestly humbles me to think that He chose these particular children to belong to our family. Both Katie and Kyle’s birthmothers “chose” our family, but I believe with all my heart that God did the choosing! They were His willing vessels…and we the blessed recipients.

I’ve had the incredible privilege of meeting both of my adopted children’s birthmothers. We met Kyle’s birthmother at the adoption placement, and we’ve been able to get to know Katie’s birthmother (and several family members) in the past few years. I’m so thankful for that!

As in every family, we’ve certainly had our share of issues. But God has never let me lose sight of the fact that He places us right where we belong. One of my favorite adoption passages is found in Acts 17:24-28. I’m not going to type the whole passage here…you’ll need to look it up for yourself! But here’s the heart of it. “From one man God made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live…”

I love that! God is so intimately involved in our lives. He sees women who are facing incredibly difficult circumstances surrounding their pregnancies, and others who are grieving their inability to have children. By His infinite grace and with incomparable wisdom, He joins them together. A new family created…a match made in heaven!


~Kyle and Marshmallow (the dog with 9 lives!)

No comments: