"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

surrender (2)

more on surrender...

When I surrender to God, I stand before Him with open hands -- letting go of the tight-fisted grip I have on my desires and my will.  It's choosing God's way over mine.  It's waking up each day and saying "yes" to God -- even before I hear what He's asking of me.  It's offering my life to Him...such as it is; and knowing He loves me...right where I am. 

Surrender does not mean that we are automatons; robots blindly doing as commanded, without intelligence or discernment.  God has given us a will; we are allowed to make choices.  Surrender is asking God to "mold me and make me after His will" and really meaning it!  It's knowing full well that there's often pain in the molding process, but trusting Him to be the Potter, anyway.  Surrender is asking Him to show us the desires of His heart and following so closely after Him that His deepest desires become ours, as well.  God has shaped each one of us with our own unique personalities.  He wants us to use what He's given us to serve Him!

Just this morning I read this quote by C.S. Lewis.  "The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become - because He made us.  He invented all the different people that you and I were intended to be.  It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own."

That's surrender!  

No comments: