"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Poverty

Okay, so I really did plan to blog more faithfully!  I guess you can tell it's summer...it's harder to gather my thoughts when the silence is missing!  But this afternoon I find myself home alone (WONDERFUL!), so I thought I'd spend some time putting thoughts into words.

Two summers ago I went to a small group conference in Chicago and was moved by the testimony of one of the speakers.  Joyce Rees spoke about her ministry to those living in poverty and how we are all called to love and take care of those in our society who are marginalized.  My spirit connected with what she was saying and ever since then I've been struggling with the questions, "Who are the marginalized in my life?"  and "Who around me is living in poverty?".  One thing I've been learning is that poverty is a much broader term than I once thought.  It not only encompasses physical poverty, but it includes spiritual poverty, as well.

I recently got to know a beautiful young couple who bought a house in inner-city Kansas City and literally moved into the neighborhood.  They love the Lord and are serving Him daily by serving those who live in physical and spiritual poverty.  My heart was moved when I thought of all they've given up (including physical safety) to answer God's call to the inner city.  What an incredible example of being willing to give our all to serve!

So I struggle...and I listen.  Am I hearing God...am I heeding His call?  I know He wants His children to love and serve those living in poverty.  But how -- who?  For now, I don't hear God calling me and Steve to move to another community.  But I do hear Him (quite clearly, actually) asking me to open my eyes to the marginalized He's placed in my life.  So I keep my (spiritual) antenna up as I go through my day, listening for Him to say, "This is one that needs to be loved in My name".   One thing I'm coming to realize is that those living in poverty might not look much different than I do.  And they are right here in my safe little community.

I'm currently reading No Greater Love, by Mother Teresa.  What an excellent book -- full of beautiful wisdom.  At first glance our worlds look nothing alike.  Mother Teresa was a nun called to live among and serve the poorest of the poor.  I am a 50 year old middle-upper class American mom living in a small, wealthy community.  Nothing in my life or my experiences can compare with hers.  But listen to these words of truth that she penned.

"People are hungry for God.  People are hungry for love.  Are we aware of that?...  Do we have eyes to see?... We are all just passing through this world.  We need to open our eyes and see.

"Since we cannot see Christ, we cannot express our love to Him.  But we do see our neighbor, and we can do for him what we would do for Christ if He were visible.  Let us be open to God, so that He can use us.  Let us put love into action.  Let us begin with our family, with our closest neighbors.  It is difficult, but that is where our work begins.  We are collaborators with Christ, fertile branches on the vine...  Remember, it is the individual that is important to us. ... To me, every person in the world is unique."  (p. 56, 57)

Who, in your life, is still living in poverty?  Who is hungering and thirsting for the Good News?  Who needs you to be the hands and feet of Jesus loving them in His name?  If you're not sure, ask God.  He would love to open your eyes to those who desperately need to experience His love.

No comments: