"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

...but I have prayed for you...

In my Bible study today I read the familiar words of Jesus to Peter at the Passover meal before Jesus' death.  "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat.  But I have prayed for you, Simon, so that your faith may not fail."  (Luke 22:31,32a)

The first thought that popped into my head was, "Wow.  What would it be like to have Jesus pray for me?  To have Him sit next to me, take my hands in His, and gently offer His petitions for me?"  I know there are people who pray regularly for me.  It's a humbling thought...people interceding on my behalf before the throne of God.  But how amazing to think of Christ Jesus Himself kneeling before the Father, talking to God specifically about me!  So when I read those words this morning I just sat there awhile and let the Spirit speak His truth to my heart.  "Bev, Jesus does pray for you.  He is praying for you.  Believe it!"

I know this truth in my head.  I've read it many times in His Word (i.e. "He (Jesus) lives forever to intercede with God on their (believers) behalf."  Heb. 7:25b)  But what an awesome reminder, what beautiful freedom, what an amazing source of comfort and strength, to hear Jesus say, "But I have prayed for you, Bev, so that your faith may not fail."  Thank You, Jesus.  I so needed that reminder today!

No comments: