"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

amen!

Aren't you glad that the word "amen" doesn't mean goodbye?  I am.  I love to pray!  I love to have heart-to-heart conversations with God -- whether it's on my knees in my room, sitting on the glider on my patio, taking long walk around town, or sitting in front of my computer at work.  I've often thought that I'm so glad that when I have to end my prayer it's never with a goodbye.

The word amen means, "Yes, this is true!" or "Let it be so!" (according to gospel.com).  When we end our prayers with the word amen, we're asking God to take and seal our prayer...to make it be so.  We're asking for God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.  But we're not saying goodbye to God!

God has promised to NEVER leave us or forsake us (see Heb. 13:5).  He is with us always. Our sweet times of prayer really need never end.  As we go through our day we can continue to talk with Him, even without words!  God doesn't need our words.  He loves to hear us speak what's on our hearts, of course.  But there are times when words just aren't sufficient -- when there are simply no adequate words to say.  There are times when our tears suffice as prayers...and times our thoughts are prayers, reaching up with longing to the Lord. 

When God's Spirit resides within us, we are never alone.  We can walk with Him and talk to Him all day long.  We need never say goodbye!

No comments: