"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Six years ago...

Six years ago today my dear sister, Laura, died. I still miss her so much. I often wish we could just sit down and enjoy a cup of tea together. When the loss of Laura was still very fresh, I would repeatedly catch myself thinking of having to call her or stop by to tell her something. Then reality would rear its ugly head and I would remember that Laura was no longer there. As the years have passed, those times are much less frequent. My heart and my head have finally caught up with each other. I know Laura’s gone, and my mind no longer tries to trick me into thinking she’s still living just up the street.

Laura taught us how to live -- and die -- well. When Laura’s cancer returned, we knew that her chances of recovery were slim. However, it was still incredibly shocking to be told (when it was obvious the treatments weren’t successful) that she would likely die within a few months. I remember thinking, “she could actually be gone by spring.” The thought was incomprehensible to me, and I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it. I couldn’t even begin to understand God’s reasoning for this.


To be honest, there are still times I wonder why this had to happen. Why my precious sister was taken home when it seemed she still had so much life on this earth yet to live. Only God knows the fullness of His reasons for taking Laura at such a young age. But I’m thankful that He’s pulled back the curtain a little so that we could have a glimpse. I am certain that many who knew Laura have a closer relationship with the Lord today not only because of her life on earth, but also because of how she prepared for life in heaven. When Laura knew that she would most likely die soon, she spent her remaining energy sharing the love of God with her family, friends, and students. She knew without a doubt that this was just the first part of her life, and she was eager to share her faith with others.


As I was thinking about all of this, I asked God to show me what He’s been teaching me in the past six years. The death of Laura (and my brother-in-law, Duane…who died just two months before Laura) was a pivot point in my life; especially in how I view life and death. Here are a few things that God highlighted in my mind (I’ll share more the next time...or this will get way too long!)…

  • My perspective on death has changed. I’m no longer afraid of death! I know it’s our enemy, but -praise God- Christ has conquered it. These used to be just words to me until I had the privilege of walking with Laura through that valley. The night we journeyed with Laura on her approach to heaven is one I’ll never forget. There was such a calmness and peace in the room – a solemn holiness – even in the midst of such sadness and sorrow. God’s presence, though physically unseen, was felt with a warmth and weightiness that transcends words.
  • My perspective on life has changed. Life on earth is short! Whether I live to be 50 years old or 100 years old, earthly life is but a pin-prick compared to the never-ending fullness of eternity. How am I spending my days? God has reminded me over and over that as long as I have life and breath I have a reason for being here. As I’ve been intentionally seeking Him, He’s been revealing to me what’s important in life.
  • I’ve also found out that life does go on after a devastating loss. God’s Presence has never been more real to me than it has in recent years. His generous promises have come alive for me! Promises such as, “My Presence will go with you and I will give you rest” (Ex. 33:14); and “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Heb. 13:5). I’ve found these to be so true. While sadness and loss will always be part of this fallen world, God has promised to walk with us every step of the way. He’s also poured His Spirit inside of us, ready to provide comfort, guidance, and HOPE!
  • HOPE! My perspective of eternity has changed. Someday soon either Christ will return or He will call us home. In the perspective of eternity, it will be just a short moment until I have all the time I could ever imagine to spend with Laura and untold others! But more on those thoughts later…

No comments: