"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It was great to spend a couple of days with Stephanie, Kirk, and their kids over the weekend. Konner was so happy to see us! He has a knack for making you feel like the most special person in the world…bless his heart. And the babies—they’ve changed so much! We couldn’t believe how much they’ve grown and developed since we were last there. They are such little miracles! It’s amazing how well they’re doing. Haley and Kaden were so anxious to get started on their lives this side of the womb (they arrived 9 weeks early), and haven’t slowed down since!

The babies still aren’t supposed to go out (high risk for RSV), so we spent most of our time at the house. Of course, Steve, Kyle, and I played a lot of store, animal doctor, and school with Konner (as well as the required games of Trouble)!

Steve took Kyle and Konner out for awhile on Saturday afternoon. They went to Wal-Mart, then on to the hotel. They spent time in the swimming pool and hot tub, and also snacked freely from the vending machine (oreos and skittles…can you say “sugar high”?)!

Since the kids were all taken care of (Kirk was home with the babies), Steph and I were able to go try out the new coffee shop in Sioux Center. It was great to be able to sit and talk without the usual distractions. I love this stage we’ve moved into…still mother-daughter, but one that’s blossomed into an adult level.

I love having an adult relationship with my girls. It does my heart good when I’m able to have some quality one-on-one time with my daughters. Unfortunately, since both of my girls live several hours away, those times are too far and few between. So we do a lot of talking on the phone – and of course, even some texting. Katie’s motivated me to improve my texting skills! I know I’ll never be even close to her skill level, but I do the best I can! I don’t want the distance in miles to translate into distance in our heart-relationships.

And always, I’m praying for them. I once heard someone say that if we aren’t praying for our children, who is? As moms, we have a unique knowledge of their hearts. We know them intimately. Of course, there will always be much that we don’t know or understand about our children; there are always areas we’re not invited to be part of. But I believe that if we ask the One who sees the hearts of all – and then listen for His answer -- we are given insight into the hearts of our children (no matter their age); a special view that shows us the way to best pray for them.

Ask – and listen – how you can pray for your children today. James 5:16 says, “The earnest prayer of a righteous person (woman, wife, mother) has great power and produces wonderful results.” (NLT)

No comments: