"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Doubt Your Doubts and Believe Your Beliefs!

"You need to doubt your doubts and believe your beliefs..."

I heard these profound words on a recent Rick Warren broadcast* and I can't get them out of my mind.  On my January 1 blog I wrote, "As I was praying, I saw myself standing with God on top of a mountain looking out over the year ahead.  But everything was foggy and hazy—I couldn’t see a thing.  Then God quietly reminded me that He alone knows what’s ahead.  He held out His hand to me and said, “Let’s just walk there together.”

Fast forward 5 months. The early months of this year were very difficult and trying, and I am so thankful for the promise that God holds tightly to our hands as we walk through life.  Steve experienced a dark battle with depression, which culminated in a hospitalization.  We praise God for the healing Steve has experienced and trust it will continue.

Time and again over these past few months, God has reminded me to "believe what I believe."  In fact, He not only reminded me to "believe my beliefs," but He Himself has been reminding me of WHAT I believe!  There's a verse in John 14 which I just love.  John 14:26 says, "The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have said to you."

I saw that played out in a profound way these past few months.  As I agonized with Steve through his depression, there were times I felt the oppression myself.  When the fears and doubts and anxiety closed in on me, I would ask God for "a word."   I didn't crave big chunks of Scripture, but instead hungered for the simplicity of a verse or two.  I longed to taste the manna God had prepared specifically for me that day -- or for that moment.  And God never failed to come through.  Through His Spirit, He reminded me of so many promises that Jesus has taught me through the years.

When I was scared, He told me to have courage and to not be afraid (Luke 12:32)  When I was lonely, He reminded me that He would never leave me, never forsake me (Heb. 13:5).  When I was confused, He told me "The light shines in  the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:5), and He reminded me to keep following the Light.  "Jesus said...I am the Light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life." (John 8:12)  When I was feeling weak, He gently showed me I was being carried in His strong arms.  "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are his everlasting arms..." (Deut. 33:27).  When I was feeling anxious, He freely blessed me with words of peace and hope (John 14:27; Heb. 7:24,25).  When I would worry, He taught me to turn my worries into prayers (Phil. 4:6-7).  I could go on and on!  I have pages filled with the words He spoke to my heart.  Words that shifted my focus from me to Him.  Verse after verse, promise after promise flooded my mind and brought peace to my heart.

God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do!  If you have the Holy Spirit living in you, He will freely remind you of all you've been taught.  If you're going through a difficult season in your own life, I'd encourage you to "open wide your mouth and let God fill it!" (Ps. 81:10).  He invites all of us to "taste and see that the Lord is good...!" (Ps. 34:8).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*To listen to this message by Rick Warren, go to http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/daily-hope/.  Click on "Never Fight Your Battles Undressed! Part 3."  The message was aired on 5/7/13.

No comments: