"Because of God’s tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Radical

I recently read an incredible book by David Platt called, Radical.  The subtitle explains it well: "Taking back your faith from the American Dream."  This book does an excellent job of defining what a Christ-follower looks like.  He explores and explains what it means to "take up your cross daily."  If you want to be challenged in your faith-walk, this is a great book to read!  But we're not just to be hearers of the Word, we're called to obedience -- to action. Our actions reflect the reality of our hearts.

In the final chapter of the book we're urged to join in The Radical Experiment.  You'll need to read the book yourself for the details!  But one thing I did want to pass on was a link to a really cool website.  As part of the "radical experiment", we're called to pray through the entire world in one year.  That took me back a little.  I had no idea how to go about doing that.  But the author sends the readers to a website called Operation World (www.operationworld.org).  I'd encourage you to check it out for yourself.  You can sign up to receive daily emails that give you a specific country to pray for, what their challenges are, etc.   It's a great tool to use to pray for the world.  Over the course of one year you will pray specifically and intentionally for every nation in the world.  How cool is that?!  I think we're too often so wrapped up in our own lives that we forget there's a whole world out there that needs the Lord.  When I shared this website with a good friend of mine she summed it up perfectly.  She stated, "It's good to take the focus off of my family and extend it over God's family.  I'm challenged to trust Him with mine, as I extend myself to His - sounds like self-sacrifice!"  Amen to that!

No comments: